Posted by Jochen | Posted in Real Estate News | Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Last month, Silver Creek Real Estate Group uploaded a helpful blog article titled “May Flowers Bring June Buyers – Increasing the Curb Appeal of Your Home”, which included tips for enhancing the exterior of the home to attract potential buyers. So you’ve taken our advice and planted, freshened and beautified in an effort to get the buyer from their realtor’s car to your front door – now what? Making certain the interior of your home is “pretty as a picture” and staged properly to aid in the fastest possible sale is of equal importance. It’s a classic Carolina fly-fishing “you’ve hooked ‘em, now reel ‘em in” scenario. We’ve created a list of some simple, inexpensive ways to stage the interior of your home so that visitors can easily envision their family living there and making their own memories for years to come.
1) Detach: As difficult as it may be, you really need to create an emotional separation from the home. In doing so, it will make it much easier to follow steps 2-5. No matter the reason, you’ve made the choice to sell your home – it’s time to cut the cord and focus on making your home “buyer ready”.
2) De-clutter: Go room to room and begin the task of removing the non-essential items. You’re going to have to pack it all up in the end anyway, so why not begin with the small stuff? Family heirlooms and photographs may mean the world to you, but they could serve to distance your potential buyer from your home. How does one visualize themselves living in a space occupied by your bric-a-brac and frames filled with your family’s smiling faces? The same is true for larger furniture pieces that may block the flow of traffic through your home. Simplify, and then store the rest. Pay particular attention to the kitchen – the heart of the home. Try to remove clutter from all the countertops – gives the impression of a larger room and a cleaner kitchen.
3) Get organized: Like it or not, truly interested buyers will open all the drawers, cabinets and closets in your home. The good news is, they are trying to imagine their own items fitting in these spaces. The bad news is, the best way to help them do that is to really work on your organizational skills. Spend a day or two going room-to-room, opening doors to closets and drawers in cabinets – then work on making them look as neat and orderly as possible.
4) Make it clean and fresh: Make certain your home is ALWAYS ready for a showing – dust, vacuum, and freshen as often as you can. Open those blinds or curtains and let the sun shine in. Light candles for added ambience and aromatherapy (only when you know you’ll be away for a short time). Replace silk floral arrangements with fresh flowers – adds natural beauty and a wonderful aroma. Open windows to allow the breeze, sounds and scents of the outdoors to flow indoors. During the cooler months, consider creating visual and physical warmth by lighting a fire in the fireplace (again, only when you know you’ll be away for a short time).
5) Do your homework: Buy a stack of the latest home décor magazines and pair it with a little online research – get up-to-date on the latest trends on the market, and attempt to recreate them in rooms throughout your home. If trendy is just not your thing, you can never miss with classic traditional décor. You may have to invest in a few cans of neutral wall paint and some throw pillows for added color. For instance, consider placing accents of black in every room – framed art, lampshades, wrought iron pieces, etc. Black adds an air of sophistication. When trying to make a small room appear larger, minimizing the clutter is essential – but mirrors are a great way to create the optical illusion of more space. You’ll find lots of great tips just like these by surfing the web or leafing through the pages of a magazine.
When all is said and done, the rooms in your home should appear like something out of a magazine – quite literally “pretty as a picture”. Following the simple steps outlined above and partnering with the talented team at Silver Creek Real Estate Group are your best bets in finding the ideal buyer for your home. For additional tips on staging your home for resale and further guidance in selling your home, contact Silver Creek today! Call us at (828) 743-1999, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org drop by our offices conveniently located near the Crossroads at The Shoppes at CreekSide. You may hold the keys to someone else’s dream home. We look forward to bringing you and them together.